In our first episode of the new year, we discuss our goals and objectives for 2017. There’s a big focus on “social media detoxing” and choosing the activities that bring us the most joy. We also answer a listener question about how to share the load with a partner when it comes to household chores.
Resources for New Year Resolutions:
- The 4-Hour Workweek : a book on streamlining your professional life
- The Minimalists: a book/documentary about living more simply
- f.lux: an app that makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
Sometimes splitting up household chores can be a challenge & an uncomfortable topic. Take a listen on how we handle it, and please share your suggestions with us!
The temperatures are dropping. Daylight is shifting. Holiday music is starting to play … winter is upon us!
In this episode, we tackle listener questions all about sticking to your wellness goals over the holidays. LISTEN HERE.
Comfort Food Discussion:
Switch things up: Jenna’s favorite Chili Recipe
Balance your plate with veggies and protein to stay full
Try tea or another warm “treat” that isn’t packed with fat & carbs
It’s all about the mind set – stay focused
Indoor Workout Suggestions:
Beachbody On Demand (email Rose)
Gentle Yoga DVDs
Healthy Holiday Tips:
Epic Jerky … have healthy go to snacks on hand
Don’t use the holidays as an excuse to go crazy – have your treats, but not ever day and watch the portions
Make workouts part of your routine
Be sure to LISTEN HERE for more tips and details on how to make this a holiday season great.
We’re so excited to have our first guest on the Nine to Five Balance podcast!
Monica Olivas is a certified health coach, running coach, and personal trainer. We pick her brain about all things running, fueling and body image.
Whether you’re a seasoned runner or just starting out, there’s some great information for everyone on this episode. Check out her blog here.
**LISTEN HERE NOW!**
Have questions for Monica? Drop them below in the comments and we’ll share them with her!
We are back with episode number 8! We’re taking a break from chatting about fitness and food, and focus on our beauty routine (or lack there of in Jenna’s case 🙂 )! Natural beauty products, cutting back on shampooing your hair, and battling signs of aging are all discussed. LISTEN HERE.
Consumers are starting to consider the ingredients in everything – even their personal care products. Just say no to unnecessary chemicals! To meet this need, there are lots of choices out there. It may be a slow transition, but here are some of our suggestions:
- Rose’s method of 2:1 Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
- Rinse your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar to clean build up.
- Beauty Counter is a company that has a mission to get “safer products into the hands of everyone.” (They have consultants, so you may have a friend that sells it. Check with them.) They also have a limited line available in Target stores.
Rose shares her experiences with cutting back on shampooing your hair. Be sure to take a listen and share your experiences with us!
When it comes to aging, let’s examine our culture and the unrealistic expectations put on women – we discuss that age is just a number and our thoughts on this listeners question regarding needing to ‘workout more and eat less’ as we get older.
We hope you enjoy! PLEASE leave us a review on iTunes and send us your questions.
In this episode, we discuss how on and offline friends can effect our mindset and out look in very different ways. Online, social media can sometimes lead to the “comparison trap” and how to get your mind right with it. Offline, “real-life” friends can often times be unsupportive when it comes to making the best choices for you. In this episode, we discuss how to cope with all scenarios.
The Comparison Trap:
- Unfollow accounts that trigger thoughts of self doubt or self shaming
- FOLLOW accounts that bring balance to posts or are uplifting and feature all different kinds of body types. Some of our Instagram favorites are:
- @darrennatoni (the account Jenna reads from during the podcast)
Overall, remember that you’re getting the highlight reel on social media. EVERYONE struggles in different ways, but we aren’t always comfortable putting that out there.
- Talk to your friends. Explain your goals. Good ones will support you 🙂
- Set yourself up for success. Plan activities that don’t revolve around food or alcohol.
- Remember: everything is a choice. What you eat, drink, choose to do, etc.
Have some tips for others? Who are your favorite Instagram accounts? Drop us a comment below! And PLEASE leave us a review on iTunes 🙂