For the past several years, I’ve chosen a word of the year. This is a word that follows me through the months – the decisions I make, how I chose to live and where I place my focus.
In 2012, my word was patience. Next came fortitude in 2013. And last year was radiate. Each of these words has guided me in different ways, some sticking more than others. Regardless, each word is very active – a conscious choice, something to work toward.
I chose this year’s word due to its irony. My words of past have, in one way or another, involved major self improvement or action, as I mentioned before. This year’s word, on its surface, doesn’t seem so active. In many ways, it means to stay exactly the same. But that’s what I’m striving for in 2015. To be STEADFAST.
It’s easy for me to go up. I set a goal and climb the ladder. I do everything I can until I achieve the goal and see success. At the same time, it’s easy for me to plummet, too. One bad thing happens, then another and I throw in all of the towels. I give up completely. Sometimes my life feels like it moves between these two extremes. And I lose sight of staying steady or loyal to myself.
So that is the goal for 2015. To maintain. Last year, I did some really great things. I want to keep doing all of those things and more. If I learned anything from 2014, it is that consistency really pays off. Here are some of the ways I plan to be steadfast:
* Continue being healthy. One of the best ways to ensure that I stay steady is by keeping up with clean eating and my daily workouts. This is integral to my physical and mental health. Without this, life is a heck of a lot harder.
* Surround myself well. I’m at a point in my life where I don’t really need a lot of new friends. I love the ones that I have. And I want to consider fostering those relationships, spending quality time and just enjoying one another.
* Stay creative. Just like exercise, my creative projects keep me happy. I am usually pretty good at following through with these, but this year I want to be a little less hard on myself. Fictional deadlines can be helpful, but they can also be suffocating. I’d like to complete these projects with more ease and truly enjoy the creative process.
* Save more money. I’ve been working hard at saving my pennies, and I want to continue that. I have a goal for my savings account by the end of 2015. This means I have to budget and stick with it. I’ve done well over the past 12 months and want to continue that.
* Do things for me. While I am an extrovert, I can always sense when I haven’t had enough “me time.” This involves just time with myself. I want to make more time for this. Even if it’s just sitting outside solo, reading a book. I don’t ever want to lose sight of myself.
What is your word for 2015? How do you plan to implement it?