For the past several months, I’ve been revamping my dining room. The idea is to bring cohesion between the living room and dining room and make this a cute, fun space. One way to do this is through color and shapes. I settled upon blue and green — accent colors in the living room — and have been since adding more decor to this tiny corner space.
I started with a rug and wine rack. And now I’ve moved on to lighting. Since cost is an issue (paying for a wedding isn’t cheap!), I have been looking for some cool, DIY type of projects. Pinterest to the rescue! I did a bit of searching on paper lanterns and ended up finding this tutorial.
The materials for this project are really simple:
- One paper lantern (I bought this one for $10)
- Cupcake liners (I chose these for $10)
- One lighting kit (I went with this one for $12)
- Hot glue gun + glue sticks
The instructions are also relatively simple:
- Set up your paper lantern according to the instructions
- Glue one cupcake liner at a time, working your way around the sphere
- Handy tip: Keep the ball in a large salad bowl. This will ensure the liners do not get crushed.
All told, this took me about an hour to complete.
Overall, I was really happy with the way this turned out. For now, we’re working on figuring out a good way to hang this lantern. We’re a bit limited since we live in an apartment — but we’ll think of something creative.
Oh, and in terms of money, you could probably do this project for even cheaper than $35. I just had a specific vision in mind for the color I wanted, and these giant cupcake liners worked best.
Stay tuned for a big reveal of the dining room! Coming soon.