Hammer and Chisel, a new weight-lifting program by Beachbody, debuted in December. At the time, I was strapped for cash and in the throes of wedding planning, so I refrained from purchasing it. I couldn’t even really fathom starting a new workout program at the time, even if I so desperately needed to.
Post-wedding and honeymoon, I decided it was time to give it a go. But this program initiated me. You “need” a ton of equipment: a weight bench, a pull-up bar, various different sets of weights. All of this in an apartment? Um, I don’t think so.
And yet, I still bought the program.
Five weeks into this program, and I am ADDICTED. I never thought I’d enjoy weight lifting so much, but I really do. Here’s a few of the reasons why I’m hooked:
- The workouts range from 24 to 43 minutes. Totally doable in my everyday life.
- There are 14 workouts in the program, which provides great variety.
- The workouts are broken down between the “Chisel” set with Autumn Calabrese and the “Hammer” set with Sagi Kalev. I like the mix of instructors.
- You can do these workouts AND do other things. (Example: I did the 24-minute Iso Speed Hammer on Thursday morning and then hit up hot yoga in the evening.)
- The program freaking works. Period. I am strong. My arms are far more muscular, and my legs are finally getting toned up again.
So what did I do about the equipment?
Well, you have to improvise sometimes:
- Weight bench: I use a chair, the floor or my bed.
- Pull-up Bar: I use a resistance band slung around a coat hook on my closet door.
- Weights: I’m using 5, 8 and 10 lbers and still seeing good progress (though it may soon be time to upgrade).
So how long are the workouts?
I have to Google this nearly every day, so I’m going to put it right here for all you time-conscious folks:
- Safety Video: 3:17
- Chisel Balance: 41:05
- Iso Strength Chisel: 36:39
- Chisel Endurance: 36:55
- Chisel Cardio: 39:00
- Chisel Agility: 38:29
- Total Body Chisel: 36:04
- Hammer Plyometrics: 26:29
- Iso Speed Hammer: 24:11
- Total Body Hammer: 43:48
- Max Hammer Strength: 36:53
- Hammer Power: 39:10
- Hammer Conditioning: 30:42
- 10-minute Ab Chisel: 10:56
- 10-minute Ab Hammer: 12:29
All totally manageable, right?
Overall I’m very satisfied with this program, the results I’m getting and how it makes me feel. I’ll be sure to post results photos once the eight weeks are up!
Full disclosure: I am a Beachbody coach, so I get all of my products for 25% off. That said, I’m 100% honest in my reviews. If I don’t like a program, I will be straight forward about it and let you know. That has NOT been my experience with H&C. I am loving it and plan to continue for a while to come!
Questions? Comments? Want to join our challenge group? Comment below to grab a spot.